[ale] Off the Wall

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Dec 19 19:21:54 EST 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Irv Mullins wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 December 2001 06:36 am, Lee wrote:
> > Ok..speaking of all this lightning and power consumption..I have something
> > I've been wondering about. I think a great new power source would be if it
> > were somehow possible to capture lightning and store this on "mondo sized"
> > batteries for distribution under more a "controlled" enviroment. I'd
> > imagine the capacitors would have to be of pretty good size as well, and a
> > by-pass for any overflow that would almost certainly occur.
> >
> > Am I even close to being onto something here,or should I let these paint
> > fumes air a bit longer before working so long in the office :-)

Uggh - let the fumes air out a bit longer...

> Shades of Ben Franklin.
>
> Actually, ol' Ben was extremely lucky that he wasn't fried to a crisp during
> that kite experiment.
>
> Other than the difficulty of finding volunteers to fly the kite, the other
> big problem is that you would need batteries or capacitors which were pretty
> well insulated - several zillion volts can really arc.  That means some
> *thick* insulation, which means big batteries. More or less the size of
> downtown Pittsburgh, say.. Also, you'd have to use something bigger
> than #12 wire to connect the batteries - NASA measured a current flow of
> 100,000 amperes when lightning struck a launch tower at the cape some
> years ago.
>
> Then, there's the problem of actually finding the batteries, etc, after
> lightning has hit them.

Well, I'm not a battery engineer, but once you found them, I doubt that
you would find much, if any charging. Batteries require mass transfer to
charge, which isn't fast like a lightning strike. Capacitors might charge
quickly enough tho, but for longterm storage and attaining useful
voltages, I'd guess you would need to bleed the charge energy onto
something else like a flywheel. At least the flywheel can charge quickly
compaired to a battery, although probably not as fast as a lightning
strike. Plus each battery cell wants to operate in a limited voltage
region. Over voltage will just create parasitic currents, and result in
heat, under voltage isn't going to be of much use.

Of course, there might be a way of attracting and harnessing lots of
little (relatively speaking) bolts...

> Regards,
> Irv
>
> ---