[ale] Off the Wall

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Dec 18 20:26:20 EST 2001

Besides the other recommendations that have already been posted
regarding this topic, I'll mention something else:

The National Electrical Code has certain requirements for the proper
grounding of coax cables which enter a building, particularly cables
which are exposed to lightning or accidental contact with power
lines.

The intent is to provide a safe path to ground for current surges or
fault currents without having the current enter the building in
search of some more hazardous path to ground (either through you or
your equipment).

Cable TV was installed (from overhead service) at my house many years
ago, and the cable company never bothered to ground the cable at all.
Every time I disconnected the cable from the TV, I could feel a
little tingle from voltage on its exterior shield.  I eventually
installed proper grounding myself.

Although I don't really know, I presume my case is a rarity and that
most cable installations are in fact grounded in some way outside the
building.  What I have heard, however, is that a common mistake made
by installers is to connect the cable sheath to a ground rod driven
at a convenient location near the point of cable entry to the
building.  The ground rod is then relied on as the *sole method* of
grounding.  In virtually all but the rarest of cases, this does not
satisfy the NEC.

Proper grounding requires that the cable be bonded to the electrical
power grounding system serving the building.  The cable companies can
install a ground rod if they want, but they must still bond this
ground rod in with the other electrical grounding, making the
additional ground rod somewhat superfluous (other that it contributes
to the overall efficiency of the entire grounding system).

My suggestion is that it wouldn't hurt to look around and see if you
can tell how your cable is grounded before it enters the building,
particularly if your cable service is overhead.  It's just one more
thing that can help protect you and your equipment.

--Joe