[ale] OT: But worth the read!

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 18 22:10:11 EST 2001

Subject:  Bin Laden Ooops

 IT WAS 1987!

 At a lecture the other day they played an old video of  Lt. Col. Oliver
 North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan
 Administration.  There was Ollie in front of God and country getting
the
 third degree.  But  what he said was stunning!!

 He was being drilled by some senator; "Did you not recently spend close
 $60,000 for a home security system?"

 Ollie replied, "Yes I did sir."

 The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience,
"Isn't
 this just a little excessive?"

 'No sir,' continued Ollie.

 "No?  And why not?" the senator asked.

 "Because the lives of my family and I were threatened sir."

 'Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

 'By a terrorist, sir.' Ollie answered.

 "Terrorist?  What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

   "His name is Osama bin Laden sir." Ollie replied.

 At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't
pronounce
 it, which most people back then probably couldn't.  A couple of people
 laughed at the attempt.
 Then the senator continued.

 "Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

 "Because sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of," Ollie
 answered.

 "And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator.

 "Well sir, if it were up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team
be
 formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth."

 The senator disagreed with this approach and that was all that was
shown
 of the clip.

 The Senator was Al Gore.

---