[ale] can anyone explain this?

tewkewl at mindspring.com tewkewl at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 17 15:47:56 EST 2001

I really don't think it's dns.... I mean. you are resolving fine, and resolving the same ip address in both pings.  once you resolve, it stays in the machines own cache for the time being, so you don't have to resolve on each ping.  What happens when you run ping against the ip address instead of the name?  From my external router, I sent 100 pings to you with a datagram of 100 and a 2 second time out.  I got a
100% response.

-Patrick

cbergeron at bassemail.com wrote:
> Here's an example of what I was talking about:

[root at proto1 /root]# ping -c 3 www.bass-associates.com
PING www.bass-associates.com (12.108.240.165) from 24.98.82.217 : 56(84)
bytes of data.
--- www.bass-associates.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/mdev = 29.307/29.307/29.307/0.000 ms

[root at proto1 /root]# ping -q -c 3 www.bass-associates.com
PING www.bass-associates.com (12.108.240.165) from 24.98.82.217 : 56(84)
bytes of data.
--- www.bass-associates.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/mdev = 29.554/29.827/29.972/0.239 ms

Pretty odd if you ask me.  I think the problem is my secondary DNS, but
I'm not certain just yet.  When I get home tonight, I will try tracing
the route from the Winbox and the Linbox to see how they differ (if at
all; I don't think they do).

---
sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---