[ale] X 4.0 multiheaded

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Dec 16 16:12:44 EST 2001

On Sun, 2001-12-16 at 14:52, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> They make a pci version, but you'll probably only be able to find it at
> ebay.  You'll prob. pay about 50 bucks for the card.
>
> After you get it, you might want to look through the fourums on the matrox
> site.  They have a _ton_ of info there...

The best cards for use undre XFree86 4.0+ for multi-head is the Matrox
series of cards. In particular, the older models work very well and can
usually be found in the price ranger you mentioned before. A good thig
about the older cards is that they are all pci.

I also have first hand experience with the S3Virge series of cards. They
work quite well under XFree86 4.0+ and can usually be found very cheap
in PCI form. Unforutnately, they dont give nearly as good a quality
picture as the matrox cards but they should be cheaper when found.

hope this helps

---