[ale] Gateway / Routing Problem

Mike Millson mgm at atsga.com
Sat Dec 15 16:11:42 EST 2001

Kevin,

I think I know what you're going through. About 6 weeks ago I replaced my
LinkSys router w/ a Linux box, and did what you're trying to do.

I'm using RH7.1 and used iptables to set up NAT. I'm a newbie too, so I
don't know if what I did will work, but here goes...

First, use iptables, not ipchains. Make sure iptables is compiled into the
kernel.

You need to make sure ipchains (the old way of doing routing) is not running
on your run level. For me the command was:

service --level 5 ipchains off

Then you have to make sure iptables is running for your run level:

service --level 5 iptables on

Then you need to give the firewall the rules to do its NAT and other routing
duties. For this I used the rc.DHCP.firewall.txt script in the IPTables
Tutorial 1.1.3. I have bridged DSL, so maybe you need a different ruleset. I
put that scipt in a file called /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall (I don't recall if I
created this file or if it was there already).

To run the rc.firewall script at startup, I added the following lines to the
end of my /etc/rc.d/rc.local script:

echo "Loading the rc.firewall ruleset.."
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall

I hope I'm not forgetting anything. It's been a few weeks. Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Mike Millson
AableTech Solutions, Inc.
770.414.8834