[ale] compromised?

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 15 12:56:45 EST 2001

I've been cutting my teeth on iptables rules on a
linux router I'm creating for my DSL connection.  I'm
finally to the point where I feel at least a bit
confident that the script is sorta good, but in the
meantime I've been running iptables wide open with
just masquerading enabled.

My question is, now that I'm at the point where I'm
going to lock the box down fairly well, is there a
need to wipe it clean and reinstall linux?  I remember
hearing in Bob Toxen's ale presentation that a default
box can be compromised with minutes after being
brought up live on the net.

What's the probability that my router's been hit, and
with Masquerading wide open, what's the possibility
that someone could have left something behind that
won't play nice in the future?  Will locking down the
box be enough?

Thanks for your input.

John