[ale] Consensus on best deal for a scsi DAT->10Gig ?

Chuck Mattern cmattern at mediaone.net
Sat Dec 15 00:38:36 EST 2001

> I have a  Seagate Hornet SCSI tape drive that uses 10GB (20GB compressed
> but I still can't figure out how to invoke hardware compression) Travan
> TR-5 tapes.  The drive was in the ~$200 range (I don't recall exactly).
>  The tapes are pretty expensive ($70-80?).  If you get something like
> that, don't think you can buy smaller tapes to save money - they won't
> work.  This drive can take smaller TR-4 tapes but read-only.  Go figure.

There is yet another Travan format coming out and it too will handle the
previous version in read-only mode.  I will never again buy a Travan.  If you
look at the cost of the media and plan to do more than just weekly backups
DDS-3 is the best bet IMHO.
|Chuck Mattern	        | People often find it easier to be a result |
|cmattern at mediaone.net  | of the past than a cause of the future.    |