[ale] Gateway / Routing Problem

Kevin Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 23:32:43 EST 2001

    I have SuSE 7.0 machine that I
have been attempting to get set up as a gateway/router for my local network. I
currently use BellSouth (or HellSouth as It was earlier referred to) as my
provider. I ended up using Roaring Penguin
PPPoE software without any hitches through an Alcatel SpeedTouchHome
DSL/Ethernet Modem and a firewall software, that I can't seem to get working,
called PointMan.

    At any rate, at this point I am
able to ping and surf from my Linux machine but because of the
difficulty ( or lack of understanding ) that I am having with a proper
firewall / routing table configuration I can't seem to get my other
machines to browse / surf the internet through the Linux box. I have read the
how-tos at linuxdoc until I am about blue in the face. It has taken me a while
to get this far due to other obligations. It's obvious that I am
missing something essential to solving my problem.

    All in all, for a newbie I have
feel as though I have accomplished quite a bit with my Linux machine. Having had
zero knowledge of Unix when I started at the beginning of this year. I'm sure by
now I have just slightly more than zero. None the less I
still have more to learn and I'm loving every minute of it. :)

    Thank you in advance for any
help that you can offer.

Kevin O'Neill Stoll<A
href="http://kevinstoll.org/">http://kevinstoll.org/(770)