[ale] Handspring/USB with Linux

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Fri Dec 14 10:57:57 EST 2001

What do you see in the usbview output that indicates it is not working
properly?

I have RH 7.1 distro.  I'll see about getting 2.4.9 from the RH site.

dmesg does show some "usb.c:  error getting string descriptor" messages.

Thanks,
Gene

dmesg output (I just grep'd for usb):

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.251 $ time 20:53:29 Apr  8 2001
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1c00, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x82d/0x100) is not claimed by any active
driver.
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring Visor
usbdevfs: async_completed: status 0 errcount 0 actlen 18 pipe 0x80000280
usbdevfs: async_completed: status 0 errcount 0 actlen 18 pipe 0x80000280
usbdevfs: async_completed: status 0 errcount 0 actlen 9 pipe 0x80000280
usbdevfs: async_completed: status 0 errcount 0 actlen 46 pipe 0x80000280
usbdevfs: async_completed: status 0 errcount 0 actlen 4 pipe 0x80000280
usbdevfs: async_completed: status 0 errcount 0 actlen 34 pipe 0x80000280
usbdevfs: async_completed: status 0 errcount 0 actlen 4 pipe 0x80000280
usbdevfs: async_completed: status 0 errcount 0 actlen 34 pipe 0x80000280
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter detected
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000380, flags 0, urb cf3dab40, burb cf3da4c0
usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-6)
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000380, flags 0, urb cf3dab40, burb cf3da4c0
usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-6)
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000380, flags 0, urb cf3dab40, burb cf3da4c0
usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed dev 3 rqt 128 rq 6 len 4 ret -6
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or
usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or
usb/tts/1 for devfs)
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 437
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 3
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 439
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter detected
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000480, flags 0, urb cf3daec0, burb cf3dac40
usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-6)
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000480, flags 0, urb cf3daec0, burb cf3dac40
usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-6)
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000480, flags 0, urb cf3daec0, burb cf3dac40
usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed dev 4 rqt 128 rq 6 len 4 ret -6
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000480, flags 0, urb cf3daec0, burb cf3dac40
usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-6)
usb-uhci.c: ENXIO 80000480, flags 0, urb cf3daec0, burb cf3dac40
usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-6)
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or
usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or
usb/tts/1 for devfs)
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 1138
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 4
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1157

Chris Woodruff wrote:

> OK it doesn't look like you have usb working correctly.  Can you please
> paste in the dmesg from the /var/log/ dir so I can see it.  If you scan
> through there and see that there are errors in regards to usb.c then we
> may have to recompile the kernel.  I assume that you not performed a
> custom compile?
>
> Did you buy a copy of RH 7.1 or is this a burned copy?  I ask because RH
> has an upgrade for the kernel to 2.4.9 and that may help with this
> problem.  This usb stuff is stuff to make work sometimes.
>
> I was having problems with usb on my laptop since I needed to use a
> mouse and all it had was usb ports.  I am looking at getting a new palm
> since my palm III died not too long ago.
>
> Chris W
>
> On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 09:23, Gene Matthews wrote:
>
>>Well, I was assuming I didn't have usbview installed, but I do.
>>I think it looks ok, output is below:
>>
>>USB UHCI Root Hub
>>Serial Number: 1c00
>>Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
>>Number of Ports: 2
>>Bandwidth allocated: 0 / 900 (0%)
>>Total number of interrupt requests: 0
>>Total number of isochronous requests: 0
>>USB Version:  1.00
>>Device Class: 09(hub  )
>>Device Subclass: 00
>>Device Protocol: 00
>>Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
>>Number of Configurations: 1
>>
>>Config Number: 1
>>	Number of Interfaces: 1
>>	Attributes: 40
>>	MaxPower Needed:   0mA
>>
>>	Interface Number: 0
>>		Name: hub
>>		Alternate Number: 0
>>		Class: 09(hub  )
>>		Sub Class: 0
>>		Protocol: 0
>>		Number of Endpoints: 1
>>
>>			Endpoint Address: 81
>>			Direction: in
>>			Attribute: 3
>>			Type: Int.
>>			Max Packet Size: 8
>>			Interval: 255ms
>>

>>Are you using Jpilot?
>>

>>Thanks again,
>>
>>Gene
>>

>>Gene Matthews wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks. I don't have my distro cds with me at the moment.  If I can't
>>>find  usbview on the net for download, I'll do it tonight or tommorow.
>>>
>>>Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>>Gene

---