[ale] Finally a boot over NFS

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Dec 13 17:50:33 EST 2001

I've been working with NFS root on an old workstation for the last 2 hours.  I have a AMD800 host which I copied all files from / to /nfsroot/192.168.2.231.  I had a
major problem of the kernel loading initl  I would get the message "Freeing unused kernel memory: 200k freed" then the system would just hang.  I finally specified
ash.static in the syslinux and was able to get to a prompt.  However, everytime I run something I get Illegal Instruction errors.  What could I be doing wrong?  Machine is
a pentium 200 MMX and the kernel is compiled for MMX.  It is also a 2.4.13 kernel that was compiled on the AMD800.   It appears I can run staticallt compiled binaries
but none that are dynamic.

Thanks,
Chris

---