[ale] OT: Letter to AT&T Broadband re Channel Removal

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu Dec 13 13:45:01 EST 2001

  I had one of these rigs.  It used a slightly larger than normal
disk (mine was 18" I think).  It used splitters to hook up the 2
receivers.  It actually worked very well.  I was able to get the
local channels on the dish also.  Unfortunately due to moving to
an appartment without a view the right directions I had to go
back to cable.

Thus spake Fletch (fletch at phydeaux.org):

>     esoteric> "Glenn C. Lasher Jr." wrote:
>     >>  I mentioned recently that I had gotten Dish Network.
>
>     esoteric> My biggest problem with any of the 'wireless' services
>     esoteric> is that, as I understand it you need multiple devices
>     esoteric> for multiple TVs.  I've heard of one that will support
>     esoteric> two, but still, by the time I get the proper hardware in
>     esoteric> place, I'd probably spend $500. 3 TVs on the 2nd floor,
>     esoteric> 1 on the first and two in the basement.  That's 6
>     esoteric> connections, so I would guess that would translate to at
>     esoteric> least 3 devices, or more.
>

> <take with="grain of salt">
>    <handwaving begin="1">
>
>         As I understand it, you'll need a receiver for each TV.
> There's a DirecTV dish and one receiver kit available for $49 and a
> dish and two receivers kit for $99 (this comes from my visit to Best
> Buy) yesterday.  This is a dual LNB dish (it can tune into two
> satelites simultaneously, so you can have different receivers watching
> channels which come off two different signals).  If you have more than
> two receivers you need to get some sort of switch which handles
> multiplexing the signal requests to the dish.  BB had one of these
> that would support 4 devices (I think) for ~$75.  Don't know if one is
> included in a professional installation if you get enough receivers at
> once or not. (I wanted to ask about this as I possibly would have
> three TVs hooked up, but being Best Buy there wasn't anyone around to
> ask :)
>
> --
> Fletch                | "If you find my answers frightening,       __`'/|
> fletch at phydeaux.org   |  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'
> 770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
>                       |                                               U
>
> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

:wq!
                                \_       that important!