[ale] speaking of DSL routers

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Dec 12 11:07:17 EST 2001

I'm trying to get a good handle on this one as well.  All the dsl
routers I see do all kinds of things, including firewall/vpn stuff.
What I need is some hardware that will permit me to get two static ips
out of my dsl line, but I've yet to find any documentation that tells me
what is necessary.

My view of the dsl router issue is that you're going to be placing your
blind faith in that device for firewalling, if in fact that is your
intent.  When you build your own, you know (or think you know :) ) what
it's doing.  Not to mention the tremendous gain in knowledge.

Granted, these devices take up a lot less space (and current) then a pc
firewall sitting there...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html

---