[ale] magicdev

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Wed Dec 12 01:14:35 EST 2001

Is this while running Gnome?  This happened to me - SCSI CD-R had very
long pauses while reading.  Swithced to KDE; problem went away.
Submitted bug report to Red Hat - they were useless.  I was still
getting automated updates a year or more later and the RH guys
discussing the problem were just useless.

Cor van Dijk (nav) wrote:

> Greetings,
> I recently upgraded from redhat 6.2 to 7.1. Now the system behaves
> jerky,  freezes regularly for a second or so, then starts up again,
> until it completely freezes, only hard reboot will revive it. In
> /var/log/messages
> I find a bunch of messages like the following:
>
> Dec 11 22:59:40 tower kernel: (scsi0:0:4:0) SCSISIGI 0xe6, SEQADDR
> 0x18e, SSTAT0 0x6, SSTAT1 0x3
> Dec 11 22:59:40 tower kernel: (scsi0:0:4:0) SG_CACHEPTR 0x0, SSTAT2 0x0,
> STCNT 0x0
> Dec 11 22:59:42 tower kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out -
> resetting
> Dec 11 22:59:42 tower kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel
> 0.
> Dec 11 22:59:42 tower kernel: (scsi0:0:4:0) Synchronous at 10.0
> Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
> Dec 11 23:00:00 tower kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver unloaded
> Dec 11 23:00:04 tower kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
>
> Id 4 is my cdwriter. Other than upgrading I did not change anything.
> System was behaving perfectly for a year or so under redhat6.2. It only
> seems to happen in X. The problem seems to disappear when I ax a binary
> "magicdev", which seems to update icon  links/values from /etc/fstab.
> But now I get similar messages on a hung logout.
> I noticed on another machine that something ("magicdev"?) pokes at my
> scsi host adapter while I am  burning a cd on  the scsi cdwriter which
> is attached to that host  Result: coaster!
> Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Cor van Dijk
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---