[ale] Boot Floppy

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Tue Dec 11 11:47:21 EST 2001

Take a look at syslinux or grub.

	http://syslinux.zytor.com/
	http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Both loaders understand file systems and work with configuration
files.
After the creation of an initial boot floppy you only need
to copy  new kernels and initrds (mcopy is very fast so I use MSDOS format)
to the floppy and you are ready to go.
You might also want to look at booting over the network to completely
skip the floppy step.

	Stephan

> Currently I use a 1.44mb boot floppy to boot my system off CD-ROM.  Modifying this floppy disk is time consuming due to slow nature of floppy drives.  Basically it is a ext2 FS with a kernel, lilo.conf, device nodes, and initrd
> image.  Is it possible to use a lopp device to create this image instead of a floppy disk.  Keep in mind that the lilo.conf states /dev/fd0 as the boot device.  Avery time I make a chage to initrd or kernel I issue the following
> command: lili -r /mnt/fd0 -c lilo.conf .
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.