[ale] eth0: Memory Squeeze

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Dec 9 22:32:52 EST 2001

Hello,

I'm getting this message on my Gateway/Firewall machine.  It may be way
overloaded.  It has only 16megs of memory and is running the following
services:

ssh
pppd
squid
dhcpd
named
masq

It is in more swap then memory but is not using it all up.  Last check it
was only using 10%.  If this is the case why should memory be an issue.
I've worked on machines that had way more paging space than ram for
economical reasons and had 0 issues.  The only issue I was faced with was at
a full utilization of memory and paging space with no more disk to expand
the volume.  These machines were HP-UX and AIX.  I guess there is no way
around this other than upgrading the memory?

Thanks,
Chris

---