[ale] OT: Display of MSN E-mail Messages

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Sat Dec 8 23:18:14 EST 2001

Do any of you have this thing where you receive e-mails from MSN users
that are in some kind of HTML and they render incorrectly?  Used to be,
you could see the message (I'm using Netscape Messenger 4.78-2 under
Linux) but if you tried to print it, all you'd see is the header info.
Most recently, though, nothing appears in the message window at all.

I did View/Page Source and lo and behold there was text there.  It looks
like it's there twice, once in some kind of formatted plain text (equals
signs at the end of each constant-length line) and again in HTML.

So how much of this is Netscape screwing up (used to be, if you tried to
reply to such a message, Netscape would just crash out) and how much of
it is MSN sending malformed messages?

I've asked the sender in question to see if she can change her outgoing
messages in plain-text only, but I don't think she knows how and I can't
exactly tell her, as I won't go near MSN myself with a 10-foot pole.

- Jeff

---