[ale] I did a bad bad thing...

Jerry Z. Yu z.yu at Ptek.com
Fri Dec 7 10:41:49 EST 2001

	I'd check if the suid bit is set.

-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        14188 Mar  7  2000 /bin/su

		chmod u+s /bin/su
	or	chmod 04511 /bin/su

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:

#This morning I accidentally typed 'chown -R apache.apache *' as root.  I
#don't know if I was in /, or if chown always takes '*' to mean '/*', but
#anyhow, I screwed things up pretty bad.  Once again, Tomsrtbt saved the day.
#I set everything to root:root and then set /var/run/named, /home/kevin and
#/usr/local/apache back to their respective owners.
#
#Everything seems to work just fine now, except that I cannot su to root.  I
#can log in as root, just can't su.
#
#Any ideas?  Are there any files in /etc, /bin, and /sbin that should NOT be
#owned by root?
#
#
#---
#This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
#sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
#

Jerry Z. Yu					+1-404-262-8544 (O)
Systems Engineer				z.yu at ptek.com