[ale] menus?

Michael Golden naugrimk at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 09:27:08 EST 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 05:12, Stephen Turner wrote:
> well it took some tinkering but i got the woody system
> running and with riser fs! is riser a good choice
> though?

I run and have run ReiserFS on my desktop machine that I use on quite a
daily basis and have never had any problems with it. The choice of
journaling file systems to run is largely a religious debate, but Reiser
is a good one and my preferred one for now. It is stable and in
benchmarks has been seen to surpass ext2 in performance even with the
overhead of journaling. ext3 has been recommended because of its easy
conversion from ext2 but if you already have Reiser that is a moot
point. ext3 can also journal the data instead of just the metadata like
Reiser if you turn that on, but it takes a _major_ performance hit to do
that. XFS is normally used for situations where you are working with
large files but I don't know much other than that about its application.
JFS is also available, but again I don't know what for, I think
enterprise level stuff.

> also im trying to get stuff like gimp to show
> up in the menu list when i right click in the blackbox
> wm is that possible? if so how? thanks for your time
> and special thanks to those who helped me in the past!

On my system the menu for blackbox is in
/etc/X11/blackbox/blackbox-menu. It seems to be as pretty simple format
to edit by hand. It may be in a different location on your distro but
you can check in ~/.blackboxrc for the session.Menufile line which
should tell you where to find the file.

Michael

---