[ale] I killed my laptop

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Wed Dec 5 16:04:31 EST 2001

Jay -

That cryptic message is actually a vestige from long, long ago - from
the days when micros had a BASIC interpreter in ROM in lieu of an
operating system.

I think it means that your hard drive is not available - the BIOS is not
finding an operating system.

Did you start the installation with floppies?  If so, then something
must have gone wrong since the start of the install for floppy-boot to
not work now.

Does tomsrtbt work?  If so, what does dmesg say about fd0 and /dev/hda?

- Jeff

Jay Fox wrote:

> I tried to install Slackware 7 on a old Toshiba Satellite 205CDS.  The install went smoothly
> until I was instructed to remove the CD and reboot.  Now when the machine comes up I get the
> message:  This BASIC was aborted because this machine has no ROM BASIC.  Use Toshiba's BASIC.
>
> No command prompt.  It will not boot from a floppy or CD.  Anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in Advance,
> --Jay Fox,  on 12/5/2001

> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---