[ale] All the virus that people on the ale list are sending me

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 2 22:34:12 EST 2001

All I can say is that most of us are blissfully unaware of any Windows
viruses (or virii, if you like). Since I never run Windows on this box,
I wouldn't know one if I got it. The ALE list, I would bet, has a lot
more far flung readers than your NT list. Although I'm in Atlanta
myself, I know we have readers from all over the world. Is that true of
your other list? And aside from that, I have seen anti-virus programs
treat many innocuous attachments like viruses simply because they were
not recognized by the the anti-virus scanner. So, blame us if you like,
but be sure you know what your program was reacting to first.

On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 20:17, Luis Luna wrote:
> Okay,
> What is going on here? I am on the ale list, lurking mostly, and on a
> Sunbelt Software list for Windows NT/2000 Admins, I have never had a virus
> come from the Sunbelt Software List (mostly NT'ers) but I keep getting
> warnings from my email server about people from the ale list trying to send
> me viri!
> Here is one someone tried to send me today:
>
> The attachment(s) that came with the following mail
> received by you had Viruses in it.

> The Mail came from    : _jmaddox1 at bellsouth.net
> The Mail recipient    : luis at btr-architects.com
> Subject of the Mail   : Re:
> Message-ID            :
> <20011202215000.QVJH1216.imf05bis.bellsouth.net at aol.com>
>
> Attachment-Name         Virus-Name              Action-Taken
> 17725445.HTM            "Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload" Deleted
> docs_doc.pif            (None)                  File was Deleted as per
> Server Administrator Rules
>

> Here is another one:
> The attachment(s) that came with the following mail
> received by you had Viruses in it.

> The Mail came from    : _ulbrich at ebicom.net
> The Mail recipient    : luis at btr-architects.com
> Subject of the Mail   : Re:
> Message-ID            : <200112021425.fB2EPCe01119 at Edison.EBICom.Net>
>
> Attachment-Name         Virus-Name              Action-Taken
> 10204229.HTM            "Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload" Deleted
> stuff_mp3.pif           (None)                  File was Deleted as per
> Server Administrator Rules
>
> Jeez! I thought linux users were a little more careful, and don't give me
> that line about Windows...blah blah..blah... A almost any system can be made
> secure and bulletproof  and experienced computer users like the people on
> this list should really be practicing safe computing.
>
> Luis Luna
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---