[ale] OT: DSL at HellSouth

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Sat Dec 1 07:54:42 EST 2001

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 08:20:10PM +0900, Keith Hopkins wrote:
>    I have a friend who lives off Beaver Ruin Rd (south of I-85) in Norcross and is thinking of subscribing to Miss Bell's DSL service.  They have told her two things that concern her, and that I am unfamiliar with.  I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on these details.
>
> 1-> BS wants to charge me $199.00 for "installation" because I have a fiber-optic line.  They have not been able to tell me what the "installation" consists of.

Sounds like something to support IFITL. Read
http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/IFITL/ifitlintro.htm for the scoop. Some
areas of Atlanta were being converted from copper to fiber-optics for signal
delivery material (in anticipation of ISDN and such) when DSL, which
normally requires copper, started becoming all the rage.

> 2-> BS told me that once the "installation" is done, I will not be able to move my computer.

Maybe they're putting in a semi-permanent jack in the wall?!? Or something
else they're doing that requires you to use a specific wall jack for your
DSL-over-fiber connection, as opposed to normal DSL service that has a
little bit of flexibility as far as which jack you use.

Some other people on here will disagree, but <plug>I've been very satisfied
with my DIRECTV DSL service (see www.DIRECTVDSL.com for details), and their
fees may be more reasonable. Or not.</plug>

Hope this helps.

---