[ale] two connections to internet??

Joseph Andrew Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 30 09:58:39 EDT 2001

Thompson Freeman wrote:

> OK. Blue sky wondering here, but hopefully to get a decent education out
> of the deal (Thanks to one and all! 8-))
>
> One firewall box, four ether interfaces: one to the DSL, one to the cable
> modem, and two for the internal network. Each of the internal interfaces
> points (NAT) to only one external interface, and each internal machine
> is assigned to an internal interface for gateway purposes. Rather a brute
> hardware approach, but would it work until a proper and dynamic software
> solution was developed?

Yes, I think that would work. In fact you can probably
to do it with one internal card with multiple addresses using
interface aliasing, since IIRC ipchains' masquerading rules
are based in IP address, not on interface identity. But
I may not be recalling correctly; it's been a while since
I used ipchains. And the ipchains internals might care
about interface identity even if the user-visible rules
are expressed in terms of IP addresses. So mutiple
internal cards would be better (as in, certain to work
without much fuss).

--
# Joe Knapka
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the