[ale] linux box from bios, can it be done?

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Wed Aug 29 08:55:16 EDT 2001

Jeff Hubbs writes:
 > Might want to shave that time by a factor of ten or so.  See
 > http://slashdot.org/articles/01/08/27/1419238.shtml.

Nah.  That claim was .8 seconds to the lilo boot.  What Jim saw was 8
seconds to linux prompt.  They are really about the same if you then
have lilo boot linux from a ROM chip.

Jim was talking about LinuxBIOS which boots off a Disk-On-Chip instead
of a BIOS chip.  There is no BIOS at all, just enough code to get the
kernel up and running.  General Software boots a standard BIOS that
has they cut wayyyy down on the amount of memory checking, hardware
initializing, etc.  I think the General Software solution would be a
little easier to use, since it doesn't really change the boot system
at all.

--Michael