[ale] can't see 3rd NIC card

djinn djinn at djinnspace.com
Tue Aug 28 12:00:28 EDT 2001

When you say "the system does not seem to be recognizing the built-in",
what exactly do you mean?  What distro are you using?  Are you using
Kudzu to try to autodetect?  Do you know what type of NIC the onboard
is?

I've never had luck with more than 2 NICs as far as kudzu and
autodetection goes.  The basic steps I follow for 3+ are:
1) Find out make/model of your NIC
2) Get appropriate driver and load module or recompile kernel as
necessary
3) in /etc/modules.conf insert
alias eth2 drivername
(where drivername is something like eepro100 or tulip or 8139too
...whatever your particular driver is called)
4) If you're running RedHat, go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and
copy your ifconfig-eth0 to ifconfig-eth2 and edit the values
accordingly.  I've never put 3 NICs in a slack box, and I've never dealt
with another distro...sorry. :(
5) ifup eth2

If all is well, you should be good to go.  YMMV of course.

Good luck!
jenn