[ale] A snort newbie question

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Aug 22 09:25:43 EDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, James CE Johnson wrote:

> # snort -Afull -i eth1 -c snort.conf -p
>
> And get this:
>
> Log directory =

That's odd...never seen that before.

> [!] ERROR snort.conf (47): Bad value in variable definition!
>        Make sure you don't have a "$" in the var name
> Fatal Error, Quitting..

Have you tried letting it pick it's own IF by not using the -i flag. I
suspect it will pick eth0 first but you could always re-alias the
interfaces, or just swap the cables and addresses.

snort -A full -c [insert path]/snort.conf -D -p

Always works for me, but eth0 is the external on all of my machines.

Build 74 is pretty new, so it could be a bug.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security