[ale] Getting BSFA to work with Linux using PPPoA?

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Aug 19 20:02:58 EDT 2001

If you have the external Speedtouch Home box, it talk to your system
through basic ethernet. Set up that ethx connection to connect with DHCP
and you're good to go. It that doesn't work, there is a way to get the
speedtouch home box to serve dhcp to you and have it handle the connection
negotiation. Thet will require setting your eth card to use an IP in a
specific range, and then you can browse to the IP of the modem and
configure it. The details are a bit fuzzy, but available from the Alcatel
manual (online pdf as well).

The simple dhcp connections works if your MAC address is registered. Since
you've been using pppoe, it probably isn't registered with bellsouth.

I think the modem can handle pppoe as well.