[ale] AT&T Broadband blocking inbound http?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Aug 19 11:23:34 EDT 2001

Rick Huebner wrote:

> Actually, if you do a search on the following URL, you will find no mention
> of a prohibition of web servers or any other server for that matter.  This
> URL is the AUP for AT&T.  I brought this up with AT&T and they had no
> intelligible response.

They do have conflicting information.  As I posted earlier, there is
verbage that specifically dictates that you may not run server processes
(webserver, gamer, whatever.

> AT&T AUP
> http://help.broadband.att.com/faq.jsp?content_id=72&category_id=34
>
> AT&T Leased Modem Subscriber Agreement(look at 9b as this seems to allow
> users to run http and ftp servers)
> http://help.broadband.att.com/subagreelease.jsp
>
> Anyway, BellSouth called today wanting to put in DSL.  I don't think that I
> qualify as they have felt that I can get DSL for over a year.  The only
> problem is that there is a Fiber run from the CO to my apartment complex.
> They actually rolled a truck and found this out!

You're probably looking ifttl, which will work although you'll need
ppoe.

They won't want you running servers either, unless you pay for a
Business connection, which provides you a static IP.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"I don't want a Microsoft Passport, and Microsoft can't have my wallet."