[ale] nesting timers still..

Joseph Andrew Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 16 09:17:33 EDT 2001

Ned Williams wrote:

> hey gang,
>
> the time command gets me the results I need but it writes its output to
> tty instead of std out..anyon know how to force it into stdout so I can
> work it though awk and what not?

It's writing its output to standard error, most likely, so adding
a 2>&1 to the time command should fix you up. (Assuming your shell is
Bash or some other sh variant. There's some way to do the same
thing (redirect stderr to stdout) in Csh, but I don't remember how.)

-- Joe

> thanks
> Ned

# Joe Knapka
# "You know how many remote castles there are along the
#  gorges? You can't MOVE for remote castles!" - Lu Tze re. Uberwald
# 2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt A