[ale] AT&T Broadband blocking inbound http?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Aug 13 07:18:35 EDT 2001

"Transam at cavu.com" wrote:

> > http://help.broadband.att.com/faq.jsp?content_id=792&category_id=54
>
> > Looks like the party is over for AT&T and @Home customers...
>
> Thanks for the URL.  I just sent a "support" email to them telling 'em
> what greedy bastards they were for using this as an excuse to block
> port 80 to force people operating web servers to pay them more for
> commercial service.  (You may want to tell them too.)

Full disclosure, I work for AT&T (not broadband though).  Further, I
have access to AT&T Broadband service, but my connectivity is DSL.  That
being said, I'll note that the Broadband policy states that you are not
permitted to run a server.  So, for those folks using their service,
this should be something they were aware of from the beginning.
Actually, I'm kind of surprised that those ISP's who explicitly deny
such usage aren't blocking these ports from the beginning.  Do I agree
with that policy, not necessarily, that's one of the primary reasons I'm
on DSL.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein