[ale] OT:Spammers must die!

Rod Young development at combiz.net
Thu Aug 9 09:00:13 EDT 2001

I just need to get my connection situtation straighten out and set my own
box.

On 08/08/2001, 3:33:32 PM, support at opera.com wrote regarding
(ID-number:26162) connect problems:

> (Please keep the subject when replying to this e-mail)

> > The is a bad lag at operamail.com.
> >

> Hello,
> please accept our sincere apologies for this disruption of the Operamail
> services. It is partly due to spammers using operamail.com addresses as
> reply-to addresses. This generates a stream of inbound E-mail after every
> spam attack, and although we are blocking such accounts as soon as we can
> the server is sometimes overwhelmed by the amount of mail. We are looking
at
> ways of making the service more reliable, and apologise for the
> inconvenience and disruptions caused!

> We have received a letter from the company hosting OperaMail saying that
they are aware of the situation and promise to do something about it within
the next few weeks. There is not much more we can do except nagging this
company and make them do something to remedy the problem.