[ale] Browsing MS Network

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Aug 10 08:31:13 EDT 2001

hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:

> Arafat writes:
>  > I know this is probably a very basic qn, but I'm lost. How can I browse an
>  > MS network? Basically, I have a win2k and a win98 box at work. I have a
>  > debian laptop. I need to access files shared out on the win boxes from my
>  > laptop.

You can access the files via either smbmount or smbclient. smbmount will
mount it like a share, smbclient will access it kinda like ftp.

There are some gui tools you can use that will present shares on a
browser, like M$ network 'hood, although I think they require Samba.
Check out the info at:

http://us2.samba.org/samba/GUI/

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein