[ale] Browsing MS Network

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Thu Aug 9 23:17:28 EDT 2001

Arafat writes:
 > I know this is probably a very basic qn, but I'm lost. How can I browse an
 > MS network? Basically, I have a win2k and a win98 box at work. I have a
 > debian laptop. I need to access files shared out on the win boxes from my
 > laptop.

As a few people said, to mount a share use smbmount or smbclient.  But
to browse the shares, i.e. see all the machines and query each for
it's shares you have two choices:

1. Read the docs on smbclient.  You can use it to query for all this
   stuff.  It is a command line program.

2. Find a gui that does the same thing.  I know Corel linux had
   one--don't know if it is GPLed though.  I think KDE has "LISA" or
   "KLISA" or some such.  Checking freshmeat I found komba and
   xSMBrowser that look like they would punch your ticket.

--Michael