[ale] linux on a 486

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Aug 7 16:47:16 EDT 2001

On Tuesday, August 07, 2001 3:59 PM, James Kinney said:
> Try digging up an older distribution. Redhat 6.2 or 5.2 come to mind. Yes,
> there are a gazillion patches and upgrades that will need to be installed.
> But then, you weren't expecting on running the latest and greatest on
> _much_ less than the latest and greatest hardware, right?!

That's exactly what I've done before.  I had an old 486 with 8 MB.  I put
RH 5.x on it because it claimed to work with a minimum of 8 MB.  Even so,
the installation went so slowly that I (as someone else suggested) took out
the hard disk and used another computer to load it.  It's worked o.k. as a
print server (current uptime - 318 days, with no UPS).

--Joe