[ale] cdrw help

Jon Kettenhofen JonKettenhofen at Yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 14:24:33 EDT 2001

Stephen,

It's not that hard.  Perhaps a rainy-day project, tho.

If you are running RedHat and Gnome  . . .

You don't have to change to Mandrake but you may
have to recompile the kernel.  It will take a while to
read through the options and compile the kernel,
but the instructions are all there.  The default kernel
you are running may already support SCSI simulation.

Latest kernel is at
www.kernel.org (use one of their mirrors) and may
still be 2.4.7.  I don't have experience with SRPMs, so I
use the .gz file.  There are README/INSTALL text files
in the top directory.  It's good to get to know the kernel
and what it can do for you.  If running X, use xmenuconfig;
if not, use menuconfig.  Read the "help" notes during the
configuration.  Even if you don't understand what the option
does, there's usually a hint at whether to turn it on or not.
You can also  make a dynamically loaded module
for some options.   I don't understand what all the kernel
build options do, but have had no trouble building stable
kernels.

To get rid of the dangerous options, turn the first option OFF.
Otherwise you will see options to turn on experimental SW.
(You probably don't want those.)

Also, if you are running Gnome,
download Xcdroast.  Start at www.xcdroast.org.  If you get the
.gz download, you can read the README/INSTALL files which
will tell you how to configure the kernel and set the lilo
options.   If you use xcdroast, make sure you have the compatible
version of cdrecord, which it uses.

Just read the README/INSTALL files for the kernel and xcdroast.
If you follow the directions, you should be OK.

The reason cdrecord (which xcdroast uses) is so hard to set up
is because it does not use individual IDE/ATA drivers
for the various CD-RW drives.  Instead it uses a piece of the
kernel which simulates SCSI on top of IDE/ATA.  This works out
very well for most CD-WOs and CD-RWs and enables the software
to work for both IDE/ATA and SCSI.

I have installed working XCDROAST on three systems.  I am running
RedHat 7.1,  but I have not tried the RPMs.  The RPMs may do some of the
work or all of the work for you.

It was well worth the effort to me to get the CD-RW working.

Jon  Kettenhofen

At 23:38 -0700 8/5/01, Stephen Turner wrote:
>ok well.... i do have cdrecord however im getting
>trouble trying to write it, the device 0,0,0 i suspect
>is not right :P never done this before, however i also
>checked driver or what ever it says
>scsidev: 'yamaha'
>devname: 'yamaha'
>scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
>should i replace the device 0,0,0 you told me to use
>with a 2,2,2 ? i am very unsure of what i am doing
>right now :P

Jon Kettenhofen
http://www.duesouth.net/~kx
jonkettenhofen at yahoo.com
1.706.860.9546 (home - I will return your call during business hours)