[ale] New Laptop Question

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 12:36:39 EDT 2001

SAngell at nan.net wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Tecra 166 with a 2.1 GB HD and I am planning my first Debian
> install as I cannot get my Raylink Wireless PCMCIA card to do anything with RH
> 7.1. My question is. With the 2.1 GB hard drive; what partitioning scheme would
> you guys recommend? Why do you recommend this scheme?  I know the benefits of
> multiple partitions when it comes to partition failure but aside from that point
> I have no clue.
> I must admit that with the exception of a few occasions I have always just used
> the one partition mounted at "/" but I am trying to become a convert and want to
> start doing things the "correct" way or at least a simulation of such.

For such a small drive, I think that a / partition and a swap partition
would be fine. Make the partition structure fit the use to which the
machine will be put. If it's a web or DB server it would be important
to partition off critical data, but on a tiny machine that's for
personal
use, having a bunch of partitions will just annoy you. My laptop's 4G
drive is all one partition. My home directory (only - everything else
can be recovered from distribution media) gets copied to my "big" server
nightly, and thence backed up onto tape.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S