[ale] linux on a 486

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 11:21:48 EDT 2001

Wandered Inn wrote:

> Right now, I'm attempting another Slack install with a 48 mb swap.  I'm
> still getting random failures, and when I do, I switch to another virt.
> console and do the install of that piece by hand.  I don't know if this
> will work, but I'm going to follow this through to either completion, or
> the point at which the install crashes completely.  Should be an
> interesting learning experience.  Going on it's third day now, although
> I'm not able to attend to it immediately.  (ie, failures in the middle
> of the night, got to get some sleep. )
>
> I'll post a summary once this completes or dies. :(

Just out of curiosity curiosity: how do you *know* the problem is
memory?
What if you start "top" or "vmstaton another virt and watch what happens
RAM and swap as the installation proceeds?

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S