[ale] AT&T Broadband blocking inbound http?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Aug 7 08:49:57 EDT 2001

> > Before I call AT&T and start complaining, has anyone else w/ AT&T's
> > Broadband service noticed that inbound http traffic is being blocked?  I
> > can still attach over https and other ports (SSH, SMTP, etc) still seem
> > work.

I suspect you'd all better get used to this for a while...

> > This seems to have started after they experienced some service outages
> > yesterday.  Their support line and website also mention the Code Red and
> > SirCam viruses, so I'm wondering if they've decided to try and fight this
> > by blocking that traffic.

This solution was suggested as a result of the ENORMOUS number of Code Red
scans coming from broadband customers. Several key players have recommended that
all broadband ISP start blocking inbound traffic headed for tcp:80 until the
storm has passed.

> I guess so. It's funny because of course those virii don't affect Apache.
> Guess I'll bump up to port 81 for a while.

What do you reckon the ratio of Apache to IIS is on AT&T's network is???

I wouldn't waste too much time complaining unless you have a static IP and can
talk them into "hooking you up". If they do it for one...they have to do it for
all.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security