[ale] linux on a 486

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Aug 7 08:23:07 EDT 2001

KeithH wrote:

> Wandered Inn wrote:
>

> > What you've said is true, and I'm doing just what you suggest.  The
> > point I'd like to make is that if I attempt an install with lowmem.i
> > rather then bare.i, the network disk does no good, because when I
> > attempt to do a 'modprobe ne io=0x280 irg=10' modprobe returns with
> > errors for undefined symbols, which means the kernel does not support
> > networking.  Now I did not attempt to find network modules to resolve
> > these missing symbols, since I new that bare.i did not return the same
> > error.
> >

>    Here's a thought or two for you.
>
> 1)  Move you disk to another machine that has enough memory (yes, I know it's a laptop,
> but don't you have one of those handy converters?)

Ah, no, know where I can get one?  Or maybe the pin out so I can build
one?

> and install it there!  Then move the
> disk back to the laptop.
>
> 2)  Create your own minimalist boot disk with just the drivers you need.  It shouldn't
> matter what dist you use to create the boot disk, as long as it can load Slack's root
> disk. (I'm assuming the still use the method.)

Something I may look at.

Right now, I'm attempting another Slack install with a 48 mb swap.  I'm
still getting random failures, and when I do, I switch to another virt.
console and do the install of that piece by hand.  I don't know if this
will work, but I'm going to follow this through to either completion, or
the point at which the install crashes completely.  Should be an
interesting learning experience.  Going on it's third day now, although
I'm not able to attend to it immediately.  (ie, failures in the middle
of the night, got to get some sleep. )

I'll post a summary once this completes or dies. :(

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein