[ale] linux on a 486

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Aug 6 10:23:46 EDT 2001

"Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 09:21:07AM -0400, Wandered Inn wrote:
> > Trey Darley wrote:
> > >
> > > Dude. He just got done saying he TRIED Slackware. Better grab that
> > > second cup of coffee. ;-)
>
> > Yeah, true.  What I tried to do was to add enough swap to compensate for
> > the lack of memory.  I'm going through the same process again, this time
> > adding an even larger swap.  It appears that my last failure could have
> > been attributed to problems with the network card though.  When I
> > attempted to setup my nfs network connection, I received errors.  I shut
> > the box down, tried to reseat the nic, rebooted and I'm cooking again.
>
>         OH!  $#@$#@$#@!!!
>
>         I totally forgot about that weird problem when I did a Slackware
> install on those two laptops.
>
>         It was an NFS install, just like you're trying.  I found that if
> I told the Slackware installer that it was NFS and specified the NFS
> path, it got all sorts of errors.  Most often it got errors complaining
> about mount timeouts and RPC timeouts.  Which was really weird because
> my NFS server was working fine.  Finally, I used Alt-F? (3 I think) and
> did a manual mount of the NFS mount point and that worked fine.  Then I
> went back to the installer screen on F1 and told it to use a locally
> mounted path and specified the path to the NFS directory I had manually
> mounted.  That worked perfect!  I never DID get the Slackware installer
> on either laptop (PCMCIA network card) to mount the NFS directory
> successfully, but mounting it by hand manually and telling the installer
> to use a local path, worked perfect, first time, both times.  This
> was also Slackware 8.

Okay, if my current attempt fails, I'll give that a shot, although it
appears that the NFS mount is working, as I do get to the point where it
starts installing the packages.  At this point, it's further than it has
ever gotten.  Previously it always locked up at the 'devs' install.

Crap, just received an error while installing elvis.tgz.  gzip error.
Claims to find problems with the file, but I can untar it and all on the
nfs server.  The nfs connectivity is still active as well.

I upped the swap to 48 meg, which I expected to work...

I wonder if the fact that this is an iso file that's mounted on the nfs
server might be complicating issues??

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein