[ale] cdrw help

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Aug 6 09:06:42 EDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 11:41:26PM -0700, Stephen Turner wrote:
> it says it cant open the scsi driver.... i dont have a
> scsi cdrw! its ide....

	Ahhh...  Just been working on this myself since I had to move
a couple of my SCSI CD-RW drives to SCO systems (which don't support
CD-RW on IDE at all) and install my IDE CD-RW drives in my Linux boxes.

	You have to install the SCSI emulation support.  If you are
rolling your own kernel, it's under IDE block devices.  With it compiled
into the kernel, you then specify "hdd=scsi" (if your CD-RW is hdd)
when the kernel boots (add it to an "append=" line in lilo) and the
IDE drive now appears under an emulated SCSI bus that cdrecord can
talk to (just type cdrecord -scanbus).  You'll also need SCSI support
and, specifically, SCSI Generic support installed as well.  Note that
when you do this, the CD-RW is no longer available as /dev/hdd but now
appears to the rest of the system as a SCSI device on /dev/scd0.
Don't know how you would handle this from a module or what's compiled
into the stock kernels.

	Work'n great around here.  :-)

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/