[ale] Weather Satellite Image on X Background

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 5 12:22:42 EDT 2001

KeithH wrote:

> I had WAY too much fun with this.

Awesome!

Incidentally, what versions of bash and xv are you using?
My version of bash choked on the [[ ]], even though I
remember reading about that in the man page just
recently; and my xv couldn't display a couple of the jpegs.

-- Joe

> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # Display weather maps in root window (Japan maps & X-windows)
> #
> cd /tmp
> IMGSIZE="-geometry 1280x975"
> # 1280x975 for 1280x1024 screen with GNOME toolbar at bottom
> # IMGSIZE="-max" for full screen
>
> while [[ true ]] ; do (
>
>    SITE=http://tenki.or.jp/himawari/japan/sekigai/
>    FILE=`date +%y%m%d%k`
> # example: 01080517.gif
>    wget -q $SITE$FILE.gif
>    xv -root $IMGSIZE -quit $FILE.gif
>    sleep 900
>
>    wget -q http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/VRML/fe.jpg
>    xv -root $IMGSIZE -quit fe.jpg
>    sleep 900
>
>    wget -q http://www.usatoday.com/weather/satpic/photos/east_asia.jpg
>    xv -root $IMGSIZE -quit east_asia.jpg
>    sleep 900
>
>    wget -q http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/WV/00Latest.jpg
>    xv -root $IMGSIZE -quit 00Latest.jpg
>    sleep 900
>
>    wget -q http://image.weather.com/images/sat/japan_sat_720x486.jpg
>    xv -root $IMGSIZE -quit japan_sat_720x486.jpg
>    sleep 900
> ); done
>
> Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
>
> > Chris Woodruff wrote:
> >
> >>When I was in college there was a exe that you could run that would show a
> >>US weather satellite image on the background of X and update it every 15
> >>minutes.  I was using SunOS or Solaris (can't remember since Michigan State
> >>switched to Solaris during my stay).  Does anyone know if there is a
> >>equivalent for Linux?  And if so is the source available?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>
> >>Chris Woodruff
> >>
> >>--
> >>

> > You could do this in a shell script:
> >
> > while [[ true ]] do {
> >   wget <URL of weather image>
> >   xsetroot <image fetched by wget> # Maybe "xv" would work better.
> >   sleep 900
> > } done
> >
> > (Note: the Bash syntax is probably not right, I don't
> > write a lot of Bash scriptage.)

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S