[ale] telnet in secure and auth.log

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Aug 3 22:41:47 EDT 2001

Wandered Inn wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas why I'm getting the following in both my secure
> and auth.log files:
>
> Aug  3 20:15:37 denali xinetd[799]: START: telnet pid=19081
> from=127.0.0.1
>
> It's very close to every ten minutes.  I just attempted to telnet to one
> of my machines and sure enough this effort was logged in this way.
> There shouldn't be a telnet attempt every 10 minutes though.

My bad here.  Stupid timing, I attempted my telnet at the 10 minute
mark, so it appeared to put an entry in the log.  A second attempt did
not.  Still, ethereal shows nothing going over the interface at that
time.  I'd still like to know what it is though.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein