[ale] Distro for router/server?

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Thu Aug 2 08:54:14 EDT 2001

Forgot to mention that there is a new release of SmoothWall scheduled for August
9th that is to include a lot of new features INCLUDING USB DSL support.

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management
Phone 770-409-5570
Fax      770-416-1752
----- Forwarded by Steve Angell/tdm on 08/02/01 08:52 AM -----
|--------+------------------------>
|        |          SAngell at nan.ne|
|        |          t             |
|        |                        |
|        |          08/02/01 08:44|
|        |          AM            |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |      To:     naugrim at juno.com                          |
  |      cc:     ale at ale.org, (bcc: Steve Angell/tdm)      |
  |      Subject:     Re: [ale] Distro for router/server?  |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

You might want to look at SmoothWall Linux if you are looking to jump in quick
with little effort. I am experimenting with this dist. now and plan to implement
it into my LAN a week or so. It has support for DSL, comes with a nice web
interface where you can configure IP forwarding, Proxy and DHCP settings. It
also has active graphs for network traffic, log monitoring, and even has a web
interface to get to a shell for more in depth configuration. All this in a
compact installation. With a little boost in ram it should run ok on your
machine but for use of all its features you may come up a bit short. I have it
running on a 366 Celeron with 128 Meg and it flies.

You can get the distro at www.smoothwall.org and there are .iso images available
as well.

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management
Phone 770-409-5570
Fax      770-416-1752

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          Michael B     |
|        |          Golden        |
|        |          <naugrim at juno.|
|        |          com>          |
|        |                        |
|        |          08/01/01 04:02|
|        |          PM            |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |      To:     ale at ale.org                               |
  |      cc:     (bcc: Steve Angell/tdm)                   |
  |      Subject:     [ale] Distro for router/server?      |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

Hello all,
        A friend of mine recently got DSL and has given me the task of
setting up a linux router for him since the Win98 connection sharing is
quirky and doesn't work half the time for him. We also want to be able to
run apache, and ftp server, a samba server, a firewall, some sort of ad
and porn filter, and probably an OpenSSH server on it. The box we have to
work with is a Pentium 90 with 16 MB RAM. Will this box handle all of
these tasks or will we have to cut back a little? If so, which are the
most resource intensive that we should/could do away with? Also, what
would be the best distribution to run on this type of box? I'm pretty
sure one with a 2.4 kernel would work best because of the DSL, but I'm
not sure. We don't plan to install X at all, but some type of config
tools for network/routing/firewall would be nice to have. I'm thinking
perhaps Slackware, but I haven't used it since version 3.5, so I'm not
sure if it has what we want and I'm not nearly as experienced with it.
I'd even thought about trying a BSD, but I have nearly no experience with
them and I'm on a more limited time frame than I though. Any suggestions?

Michael Golden