[ale] Distro for router/server?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Aug 1 16:10:08 EDT 2001

> Hello all,
>         A friend of mine recently got DSL and has given me the task of
> setting up a linux router for him since the Win98 connection sharing is
> quirky and doesn't work half the time for him. We also want to be able to
> run apache, and ftp server, a samba server, a firewall, some sort of ad
> and porn filter, and probably an OpenSSH server on it. The box we have to
> work with is a Pentium 90 with 16 MB RAM. Will this box handle all of
> these tasks or will we have to cut back a little?

It'll do fine with more RAM. 16 Megs is a bit light even if you're not
running X.

> If so, which are the
> most resource intensive that we should/could do away with? Also, what
> would be the best distribution to run on this type of box? I'm pretty
> sure one with a 2.4 kernel would work best because of the DSL, but I'm
> not sure. We don't plan to install X at all, but some type of config
> tools for network/routing/firewall would be nice to have. I'm thinking
> perhaps Slackware, but I haven't used it since version 3.5, so I'm not
> sure if it has what we want and I'm not nearly as experienced with it.
> I'd even thought about trying a BSD, but I have nearly no experience with
> them and I'm on a more limited time frame than I though. Any suggestions?

Suggestion 1: Use what you're used to.
Suggestion 2: Start with a router specific project like the Linux Router Proj.
              and build up from there.
Suggestion 3: You'll probably get someone to point out that running a firewall
              and running services on that firewall probably isn't a real good
              idea securitywise. May want to split those two into different
              machines.

BAJ