[ale] options for a 3c590 module?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Aug 1 10:34:06 EDT 2001

I'm reading the vortex.txt to set my nic card options.  We are using some
foundry switches that seem to REALLY dislike autonegotiation so most
of the cards are just forced to 100fdx at boot time.  The machines we've
done this on can just use the "mii-diag" to force it but this 3c590 seems
incompatable.

I'm now recompiling my kernel to make the driver a module and going to
pass the options.  Reading the vortex.txt file it specifies:

options=N1,N2,N3,...

  Each number in the list provides an option to the corresponding
  network card.  So if you have two 3c905's and you wish to provide
  them with option 0x204 you would use:

    options=0x204,0x204

  The individual options are composed of a number of bitfields which
  have the following meanings:

  ssible media type settings
        0       10baseT
        1       10Mbs AUI
        2       undefined
        3       10base2 (BNC)
        4       100base-TX
        5       100base-FX
        6       MII (Media Independent Interface)
        7       Use default setting from EEPROM
        8       Autonegotiate
        9       External MII
        10      Use default setting from EEPROM

  When generating a value for the 'options' setting, the above media
  selection values may be OR'ed (or added to) the following:

  512  (0x200)  Force full duplex mode.
  16   (0x10)   Bus-master enable bit (Old Vortex cards only)

  For example:

    insmod 3c59x options=0x204

  will force full-duplex 100base-TX, rather than allowing the usual
  autonegotiation.

So basically I want the "option=0x204" passed to the driver, but out of
curiosity what is #6, MII?  I thought MII was a type of card spec, not an
option.

Most importantly, if I want to put this in my lilo.conf on an append,
what is the CORRECT way to make the append option for eth0 to have this
option passed?

Robert

:wq!
                                \_       that important!