[ale] Router DNS Tables - off topic

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Sep 27 09:52:29 EDT 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Lathe wrote:
> It was explained to me that an existing problem that the internet has is
> that the a lot of the major routers that are in use are running out of
> memory in their DNS tables.  Once these table are full, the routers then
> do a complete memory flush and therein lies the problem.  Once that
> happens, the routers will no longer be able to forward datagrams to
> address blocks.

I'm no router expert, but routers don't really care about domain names.
About the only reason for a router to use DNS is to make it easy on the
person configuring it.  By the time a packet gets to the router, it is
just an IP number and ethernet address.  The router does a bit of netmask
magic and passes it on.   About the only other thing the router would use
dns for would be if you were using your router to do some firewalling
based on source/dest address.