[ale] Re: Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: Mind/link DSL and linux?) -- 386-486sx/dx

Jeff Hubbs jhubbs at telocity.com
Sun Sep 3 23:33:54 EDT 2000

"Eric Z. Ayers" wrote:

> Well, most are, but I have heard of a 486 with PCI.
>
> A 486 makes an OK router.  Lots of routers only do 10mbit only.  It
> makes lots of sense if you have a T1 on one side and a LAN on the
> other - the T1 is only 1.5 Mbit...

One of my machines here is a PCI 486 - a Gateway 2000 bought at the start of the
Pentium era, January 1995.  It now has a 100MHz Overdrive.

A good DSL connection can put you in T1 territory, at least on the downlink side,
and my 486DX/33 firewall seems to be peaking at that speed (at least the DSL modem
is, according to its onboard Web server, and I assume its measurement is spread out
over enough time that the firewall is taking data at that speed).

- Jeff