[ale] bleeding edge (was why so difficult)

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Oct 29 14:05:17 EST 2000

..snipped..

> > otherwise, don't complain...
>
> His complaint wasn't about what came with his distribution or where he can
> get updates. He was complaining about the proccess of actually running the
> updates, and the problems that RPMs can have.
>

> > > I dont mean to be the voice of doom here but linux needs to get its
stuff
> > > together if we are going to make a run at the idiots market.
> >
> > -why would you want to even get the idiot market?...linux *isn't* easy
> > when compared with windows or macs, but over time things become second
> > nature....think of the "dumb" questions those users already have with
> > their operating system...can you imagine trying to walk them through
> > editing their httpd.conf file with vi or emacs?.....
> >

> Linux us whatever you want it to be. I think it is wrong to say that
people
> shouldn't make a version of Linux for the "idiot market".  The entire
point
> of using open software is that you can do whatever you want with it.  If I
> go and make an version of Linux that you don't need to get under the hood
> work with, what is wrong with that? If you want to use the command line
and
> text config files for everything you do, great! However, I want to be able
> to use a nice graphical configuration program to set up what I want to do.
>
> I know I am rambling a bit (or a lot), but I really get aggrevated when
> people get so elitist about Linux.  Should people only be able to take the
> bus because they can't switch out the timing belt in their car?
>
> > i didn't think so....linux is an operating system for people that want
> > get under the hood....and that's a dangerous ability to give a user that
> > doesn't know what they are doing...
>
> It is not impossible to create a system where people who want to get under
> the hood can, and those that want it to run on autopilot can.
>

> > -drew

Well put, sir. In the days of DOS and Win3x (ok, not the best analogy,
but...)
some users could stay only with the GUI, yet power users could get to the
engine (such as it was), but the point obviously is, lots of people could
then
use a PC at their own comfort level. Which is what is cool about Linux, it's
now similar, and getting better all the time for ease of use. (Linux plug
and
play? Heck, who'd of thought it not that very long ago!) I really don't care
for
an elitist attitude either. I use and have used all popular OSs for the PC,
all
have or had strengths and weaknesses. My attitude is, I use the best tool
for
the mission critical job, and experiment and/or just get my kicks with the
rest.
And I don't know Linus Trovald, but my take on him is he's likely okay with
Linux becoming as easy to use as WinWhatever, as long as it excels at it.

I don't believe in degrading anyone for being a PC 'idiot', either. PC
illiterate
is a bit kinder, at least. The vast majority of people use a PC for one or
more
specific purpose or purposes, and there is no reason whatsoever for their
productivity to chronically suffer because of hw or sw issues, with any OS.
IMO, Linux will achieve true 'world domination' only when Linux sw
developers finally address some of its chronic and problematic issues in a
consistent manner -- not an easy task, I know -- to the point of where the
majority of all users can easily and reliably use it most of the time for
most
purposes. If that requires a 'dumbed-down' approach like having an optional
easy-to-use GUI with more hand-holding gee-Wizards, what's wrong with
that, as long as it's guts remain robust? The brilliant don't have to use
it.
Otherwise the chronic black-hole of that other proprietary ease-of-use but
not cheap O$ will exist for a long time yet, with developers still spending
most of their time $upporting it. (Although they should also be 'free' to
make
licensed top-shelf apps for Linux too, i.e.make a living, but that's another
OT
topic.)

My $0.02, thanks for the tolerance.

-fgz