[ale] bleeding edge (was why so difficult)

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Sun Oct 29 10:49:00 EST 2000

jiin writes:

 > winblows sux but when you get an update you never have to remove libs to
 > update an app.

Usually if a (windows) program needs an updated library, they just
package it with the program and install it over the old one.  If you
are lucky it is backwards compatible.  If you are unlucky then some
other programs stops working, but you have no idea why, or which
library it needs.

The reason RPM sometime seems broken is because it tries to do the
right thing: figure out what's needed and see if you have it.  I think
it is sometimes hard to tell what is needed.  For instance, if I build
an RPM and I am running a cutting edge glibc, how do I know whether my
resulting binary is compatible with an older glibc?  I think one
common problem is develpers who have a thoroughly up to date machine
just sticking in dependancies that aren't needed by accident.

--Michael